Do you enjoy hands-on work? Have you thought about a career in auto mechanics? Union apprenticeships and careers in public agencies offer great benefits and opportunities for advancement. Get prepared for apprenticeships and mechanical-related exams with our no cost 18-week Automotive Pre-Apprentice program. Women, BiPOC, Veterans and job seekers with previous conviction histories are encouraged to apply.
This part-time program provides:
Information about specific trades/utilities, career pathways, job requirements, application process; gain practical experience in trade-specific skills, tools identification and use.
- Automotive entry-level tech fundamentals
- Career/soft skills online class
- Math refresher and test-taking strategies online class
- OSHA Safety Certification
- JVS-provided job readiness workshops
- Employer-sponsored on-the-job training (OJT Opportunities)
- Referral to civil service testing & employment opportunities
- Assistance with transportation and safety equipment costs
- Fill out the online application
- Application screen interview
- Virtual panel interview
- Selected candidates will be invited to attend an onboarding session to complete enrollment
- Mandatory Welcome Orientation
Applications are now closed.
Director of Utilities Programs
Elizabeth Toups has over 25 years of experience leading workforce education and training strategies, with particular expertise in the utilities and healthcare industries. In her role as Director of Utilities Training Programs, Elizabeth leads JVS’s efforts to build a more effective workforce pipeline leading to mission critical jobs in the public water/wastewater and transit sectors. Elizabeth is a graduate of the University of Kentucky and holds a master’s degree in public administration from Golden Gate University.
Senior Coordinator, Utilities Programs
Mario has over 13 years of experience supporting students from underserved communities and helping them to enter their career pathways. He has extensive experience working with immigrants, economically disadvantaged and diverse populations. In his previous role, Mario helped develop a program connecting first-generation students with resources and supportive networks to help them achieve their academic goals. Now at JVS, he supports job seekers who are pursuing careers in the skilled trades.
Michael brings to JVS 16 years of experience in workforce development. In addition to serving as a manager on our Utilities team, Michael also serves as the manager of BAYWORK, a workforce consortium of over 35 water and wastewater utilities in the Greater Bay Area. Michael’s dual responsibilities are a reflection of the close cooperation between JVS and the utilities that make up BAYWORK. This collaboration gives the JVS Utilities team a high-level of access to leaders in the water sector, enhancing our ability to prepare clients for these well-paid and stable careers.
Dates: August 17 – December 16, 2022
Online Class: Monday 4:30-6:30pm
In-person Classes: M/T/W/Th 2-4:45pm
This is a remote program run by JVS and Skyline College. It includes an online Math class and in-person auto training classes at Skyline Auto Shop.
- Age 18 or older by August 17, 2022
- Authorized to work in the U.S. by August 17, 2022
- Have CDL or obtain by August 22, 2022
- BIPOC, former foster youth, justice-involved populations (previously incarcerated), low-income, TAY (transition age youth), veterans, women encouraged to apply
- Have GED or high school diploma
- Proof of Selective Service registration
- Interest in Auto mechanics
- Must enroll in Skyline Courses (AUTO 711, AUTO 580, and AUTO 670)
- San Mateo residents preferred
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination required