Dental Assistant Certificate
Do you have a talent for calming anxious people? Do you thrive in a fast-paced, caring work environment? You could be a great Dental Assistant, who checks in patients, prepares them for the dentist, and is a crucial player in every dental practice.
This course includes paid, hands-on experience at diverse community dental clinics in San Francisco.
Apply for this free, 3-month dental assisting program at San Francisco State University – College of Extended Learning (SFSU-CEL) that prepares students with the necessary manual skills, technical knowledge, and hands-on experience to obtain career-related employment.
- Introductory oral anatomy, dental procedures and dental disease
- Chair side dental assisting
- Use and care of equipment and materials
- Clinical skills through hands-on experience at a community or private clinic
- Infection Control and aseptic techniques
- Radiation safety (Students are required to bring in 4 patients – with an approval from their dentist – to perform full mouth exposure in order to complete the Radiation Safety training and be eligible for their x-ray licensure)
- Certifications: X-ray license and Infection Control
- San Francisco residents preferred
- Low-income or unemployed
- Age 18+ with high school diploma or GED
- English literacy
- Provide updated immunization record
- Ability to bring 4 patients for X-ray exam
This program offers full support – from your fellow job seekers and our expert trainers. We will support you through accepting your next job.
Applications are now closed. Join our email list to learn about upcoming program dates and other JVS events.
A Few of Our Instructors
Healthcare Program Coordinator
Eliyana brings more than a decade of experience working with people from all backgrounds and numerous countries. Eliyana holds a master’s degree in Public Health and is an expert on developing collaborations to create career pathways for JVS job seekers. She has also conducted research with professors at San Francisco State University and UCSF.
Program Dates: Feb 3, 2020 – May 1, 2020
Classroom training: (Tuesday-Friday) 9am-2:30pm
Clinical externships: (various San Francisco sites): March 23-May,1,2020
Location & Times: SFSU Downtown Campus, 835 Market St, 6th floor, San Francisco
9:00 am -2:30 pm (Tues-Friday)
Certificates Included: X-ray license and Infection Control
Topics: dental terminology and tools, customer service, job search