Medical Administrative Assistant
Are you looking to get your foot in the door in healthcare? Our Medical Administrative Assistant program provides free training to help you secure a competitive position with some of the Bay Area’s top healthcare providers – UCSF, John Muir Health, CPMC and more.
This course provides 9 weeks of classroom training that will cover the basic computer skills, office skills and healthcare-specific skills that employers seek from administrative personnel. The training will also provide you with job search tools to help you find long-term work.
For students who successfully complete the classroom training, we offer paid internships which will give you an opportunity to refine the skills you learn during the training.
- skills for the job, such as patient communication
- critical thinking and communication skills
- basic computer and office skills (e.g., Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel)
- tools for your job search, such as networking, resumes and cover letters
- leadership skills that will help you develop professionally as you progress throughout your career
- insights on healthcare employer company culture and how you can succeed as an employee
For your job search, you’ll also gain:
- a new job search and networking strategy
- job search, interviewing, online application and networking skills instruction
- one-one one job search and placement assistance, as well as general support in completing our course
- San Francisco resident who is 18 years or older
- proof of High School diploma or GED
- proficient in English
- ability to pass a basic skills assessment and background check
- must be eligible for the JobsNOW! Wage Subsidy Program
What job seekers are saying:
“The training at JVS increased my professionalism. I had to learn how to communicate with doctors. I had to learn to communicate with patients most of all. They provided all the training that I needed to to come into this professional medical world.” -Yasmeen, UCSF
Medical Administrative Assistant
We’re not currently accepting applications for this program. Join our email list to learn about future program dates and other JVS events.
A Few of Our Instructors
Healthcare Program Coordinator
Regina is an experienced college professor with a master’s degree in research of psychology. She is a San Francisco native who comes from a low socioeconomic status and is dedicated to helping others achieve their career goals. Regina is a firm believer that when people put their minds to something positive, they are capable of achieving amazing things.
Classroom training: June 3 – August 2, 2019
Internship*: August 5 – November 21, 2019 (approx.)
*paid internship upon successful completion of classroom training
For more information, join these upcoming orientations:
- March 26 10:00 am – 11:30 am: Western Addition NAP, 1449 Webster Street
- March 26 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm: Sunnydale Clubhouse, 1654 Sunnydale Avenue
- March 27 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm: Human Services Agency, 3125 Mission Street
- March 28 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm: MEDA (Mission Econ. Dev. Dept.), 2301 Mission Street
Time Commitment: 9 weeks training; approx. 4 month paid internship (32 hours/week)
Employer Partners: University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
Cost: None. Students must provide their own transportation costs.
Topics: Communication and leadership skills, basic office and computer skills, polished self-presentation, job search skills
225 Bush Street, Suite 400
UCSF (various San Francisco locations)