Medical Administrative Assistant
Are you looking to get your foot in the door in healthcare? Our Medical Administrative Assistant programs provide free training to help you secure a competitive position with some of the Bay Area’s top healthcare providers – UCSF, John Muir Health, CPMC and more.
Courses range from 10 to 16 weeks and cover the communication, critical thinking and healthcare-specific skills that employers seek from administrative personnel. The training will also provide you with job search tools to help you find long-term work.
Please see the applications for details on these programs, which vary in length, location and more. Some programs also offer paid internships, which will give you an opportunity to refine the skills you learn during the training.
- skills for the job, such as medical terminology and patient communication
- critical thinking and communication skills
- basic computer and office skills (e.g., Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel)
- tools for your job search, such as networking, resumes and cover letters
- leadership skills that will help you develop professionally as you progress throughout your career
- insights on healthcare employer company culture and how you can succeed as an employee
For your job search, you’ll also gain:
- a new job search and networking strategy
- job search, interviewing, online application and networking skills instruction
- one-one one job search and placement assistance, as well as general support in completing our course
- High School diploma or equivalent degree
- proof of valid authorization to work in the United States
- ability to provide current medical exams and immunization records
- ability to pass a criminal background check and drug screen
- English language proficiency and ability to pass a reading comprehension exam
What job seekers are saying:
“The training at JVS increased my professionalism. I had to learn how to communicate with doctors. I had to learn to communicate with patients most of all. They provided all the training that I needed to to come into this professional medical world.” -Yasmeen, UCSF
Medical Administrative Assistant
Applications for this program are currently closed. Please sign up for our e-blast to receive notification on program dates, as well as application information.
A Few of Our Instructors
Aché is a dynamic leader, trainer and Fulbright Scholar who has partnered with global organizations to promote innovative change and leadership in business, education and healthcare. Aché has a keen eye for decoding the hidden possibilities in problems. Aché has leveraged her skills and experience into training multiple cycles of EXCEL and has witnessed successful career placements that not only change lives, but transforms generations.
Healthcare Program Coordinator
Eliyana brings more than a decade of experience working with people from all backgrounds and numerous countries. Eliyana holds a master’s degree in Public Health and is an expert on developing collaborations to create career pathways for JVS job seekers. She has also conducted research with professors at San Francisco State University and UCSF.
Dates: Varies, depending on employer partner
Time Commitment: 10 – 16 weeks training; approx. 4 month paid internship (32 hours/week)
Employer Partners: John Muir Health, University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
Cost: None. Students must provide their own transportation costs.
Topics: Medical terminology, basic office and computer skills, polished self-presentation