Medical Administrative Assistant
Are you looking to get your foot in the door in healthcare? Our Medical Administrative Assistant program provides free training to help you secure a competitive position with some of the Bay Area’s top healthcare providers – UCSF, John Muir Health, CPMC and more.
This course provides 9 weeks of classroom training that will cover the basic computer skills, office skills and healthcare-specific skills that employers seek from administrative personnel. The training will also provide you with job search tools to help you find long-term work.
For students who successfully complete the classroom training, we offer paid internships which will give you an opportunity to refine the skills you learn during the training.
- skills for the job, such as patient communication
- critical thinking and communication skills
- basic computer and office skills (e.g., Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel)
- tools for your job search, such as networking, resumes and cover letters
- leadership skills that will help you develop professionally as you progress throughout your career
- insights on healthcare employer company culture and how you can succeed as an employee
For your job search, you’ll also gain:
- a new job search and networking strategy
- job search, interviewing, online application and networking skills instruction
- one-one one job search and placement assistance, as well as general support in completing our course
- San Francisco resident who is 18 years or older
- proof of High School diploma or GED
- proficient in English
- ability to pass a basic skills assessment and background check
- must be eligible for the JobsNOW! Wage Subsidy Program
What job seekers are saying:
“The training at JVS increased my professionalism. I had to learn how to communicate with doctors. I had to learn to communicate with patients most of all. They provided all the training that I needed to to come into this professional medical world.” -Yasmeen, UCSF
Medical Administrative Assistant
We’re not currently accepting applications for this program. Join our email list to learn of future program dates and other JVS events.
A Few of Our Instructors
Alicia Velez Rivers
Alicia, a certified Career Development Facilitator, has 15+ years experience as a workforce development professional at JVS. She has a passion and talent for helping people create meaningful connections that lead to work and has had many interesting jobs, including working at the SF Flower Market.
Healthcare Program Coordinator
Regina is an experienced college professor with a master’s degree in research of psychology. She is a San Francisco native who comes from a low socioeconomic status and is dedicated to helping others achieve their career goals. Regina is a firm believer that when people put their minds to something positive, they are capable of achieving amazing things.
Classroom training: Oct. 22 – Dec 21, 2018
Internship*: Jan. 7 – May 3, 2019 (approx.)
*paid internship upon successful completion of classroom training
Time Commitment: 9 weeks training; approx. 4 month paid internship (32 hours/week)
Employer Partners: University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
Cost: None. Students must provide their own transportation costs.
Topics: Communication and leadership skills, basic office and computer skills, polished self-presentation, job search skills
225 Bush Street, Suite 400
UCSF (various San Francisco locations)