Medical Assistant Certification Course with San Francisco State University
JVS is teaming up with San Francisco State University and leading healthcare organizations to offer free tuition for a 4-6 month course. Students will receive training to become Medical Assistants through a combination of 10 weeks of lectures/labs followed by a 160-hour clinical externship.
Students will perform a variety of clinical procedures, including assisting with minor surgery, performing electrocardiograms, administering medications, educating patients and maintaining equipment in an ambulatory care setting.
Upon completion of the program, students will have the necessary skills to gain employment in clinics, physician offices and other outpatient facilities.
- scope of the clinical medical assistant role in a medical office
- professional skills including patient-provider communication
- job search, interviewing, online application, networking skills instruction, and one-on-one job search support services
- skills training for the medical assistant certification examination
- Certifications: BLS Provider (Basic Life Support/CPR), MA Certification (SFSU), CA State Certification (CCMA-C)
- San Francisco resident preferred
- proof of valid authorization to work in the United States
- ability to provide current immunization records, including negative TB test
- ability to pass a criminal background check and drug screen
- high school diploma or equivalent degree
- age 18 or older
- English literacy
- basic math skills
What Job Seekers are saying:
“This was a great training in a short period of time with a good network for the externship. The support for developing soft skills was critical to prepare me for the internship & workplace.” – JVS alum
Who is Hiring Our Graduates?
Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation, UCSF through staffing agencies MGA and Aerotek, Dignity Health, Planned Parenthood, Genentech, several local clinics (urology, optometry, opthamology) and more to come!
SFSU Downtown Campus
If you’re nervous or scared about taking a risk, you should consider doing it with JVS. My life completely changed and JVS was with me every step of the way. JVS gave me everything I needed on a plate, and I just had to show up, be on time and eat! I got certified as a Medical Assistant, and I also learned how to manage up, speak to my peers, present myself in an interview, shake hands, dress – so many things. I’ve succeeded in a way I had never imagined.David
We’re not currently accepting applications for this program. Join our email list to learn of future program dates and other JVS events.
A Few of Our Instructors
Michelle has 20 years of experience as a technology trainer. She is a certified CASAS eTests Online Coordinator and Microsoft Office Specialist. As an avid online learner, she has earned several certificates from Lynda.com and Coursera.org-UC San Diego, including courses on effective learning assessments.
Time Commitment: 4-6 months
Program Dates: January 14 – March 22, 2019; Externships in April – May (Applications are closed.)
Schedule: Classroom: M, Tu, W, F | 9:00am – 2:30pm / Clinical Externship: schedules vary
Location: San Francisco State University (downtown campus), 835 Market Street – 6th Floor, San Francisco; Externship sites vary
Certifications Included: Basic Life Support Provider, Medical Assistant