Medical Assistant Certification Course with Kaiser Permanente & San Francisco State University
JVS is teaming up with Kaiser Permanente and San Francisco State University to offer free tuition for a 6-month course. Students will receive training to become medical assistants through a combination of lectures, labs, and a paid clinical externship with a Kaiser Permanente San Francisco.
Students will learn to perform a variety of clinical procedures, including assisting with minor surgery, performing electrocardiograms, administering medications, performing vitals, and maintaining equipment in an ambulatory care setting.
Upon completion of the program, students will have the necessary skills to gain employment in clinics, physician offices and other outpatient facilities.
The training includes:
- 140 hours of lectures/labs
- a paid, full-time clinical externship at Kaiser Permanente San Francisco (upon successful completion of classroom training)
- scope of the clinical medical assistant role in a medical office
- professional skills including patient-provider communication
- job search, interviewing, online application, network skills instruction, and one-on-one job search support services
- skills training for the CCMA (Certified Clinical Medical Assistant) exam
- San Francisco residents preferred
- proof of valid authorization to work in the United States
- applicants must not have successfully completed another medical assistant program
- ability to provide current medical exams and immunization records
- ability to pass a criminal background check and drug screen
- high school diploma or GED
- be in good standing with San Francisco State University & San Francisco State University College of Extended Learning
- age 18 or older
- English literacy
- basic math skills
- updated immunization records, including the following:
- TB: (Tuberculosis with a negative history) copies of proof of negative
history required (a.If no proof of negative history: 2-step TB or Quantiferon blood test required; b. If positive history:clear chest x-ray within the past 6 months required)
- Tetanus: within 10 years
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella): childhood record acceptable
- Varicella Immunity
- Hepatitis B: at least shot #1 in series
What Job Seekers are saying:
“This was a great training in a short period of time with a good network for the externship. The support for developing soft skills was critical to prepare me for the internship & workplace.” – JVS alum
Who is Hiring Our Graduates?
Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation, Kaiser Permanente, UCSF through staffing agencies MGA and Aerotek, Dignity Health, Planned Parenthood, Genentech, several local clinics (urology, optometry, ophthalmology), and more to come.
If you’re nervous or scared about taking a risk, you should consider doing it with JVS. My life completely changed, and JVS was with me every step of the way. JVS gave me everything I needed. I got certified as a medical assistant, and I also learned how to manage up, speak to my peers, present myself in an interview, shake hands, and dress. I’ve succeeded in a way I had never imagined.David
Applications are now closed. Join our email list to learn about upcoming program dates and other JVS events.
A Few of Our Instructors
Healthcare Program Coordinator
Time Commitment: 6 months
Program Duration: March 9, 2020 – August 18, 2020
Classroom Training: March 9, 2020 – June 5, 2020
Clinical Externship: June 8, 2020 – August 18, 2020
Location of Training: SFSU Downtown Campus, 835 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94103 and JVS 225 Bush St., Suite 400, San Francisco, CA 94104
Location of Externship: Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Locations
Additional training at:
JVS 225 Bush Street, Ste. 400, West Lobby, San Francisco
Certifications Included: Medical Assistant