Medical Assistant Certification Course with San Francisco State University
160-Hour Clinical Externship
We’ve teamed up with San Francisco State University to offer a free, 4-month course that prepares students to perform patient clinical skills in medical office settings through a combination of lectures, labs and a clinical externship.
Students will perform a variety of clinical procedures, including assisting with minor surgery, performing electrocardiograms, administering medications, educating patients and maintaining equipment in an ambulatory care setting.
Upon completion of the program, students will have the necessary skills to gain employment in clinics, physician offices and other outpatient facilities.
The training includes:
- 140 hours of lecture/labs and a 160-hour clinical externship
- scope of the clinical medical assistant role in a medical office
- professional skills including patient-provider communication
- job search, interviewing, online application, networking skills instruction, and one-on-one job search support services
- skills training for the National Healthcareer Association Certified Clinical Medical Assistant national examination
- High school diploma or GED
- Age 18 or older
- Eligible to work in the US
- English literacy
- Basic math skills
- San Francisco resident
*This program is grant funded and requires individual assessment for eligibility – please submit an application to be considered.
Medical Assistant Certification Course
Applications for this program are currently closed. Please sign up for our e-blast to receive notification on program dates, as well as application information.
A Few of Our Instructors
Michelle has 20 years of experience as a technology trainer. She is a certified CASAS eTests Online Coordinator and Microsoft Office Specialist. As an avid online learner, she has earned several certificates from Lynda.com and Coursera.org-UC San Diego, including courses on effective learning assessments.
Time Commitment: 4 months
Program Dates: TBD
Schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday Friday | 9:00am – 2:00pm
Location: San Francisco State University (downtown campus)