Medical Assistant Certification Course with San Francisco State University
JVS is teaming up with San Francisco State University and a prominent Bay Area healthcare provider to offer free tuition for a 5-month course. Students will receive training to become medical assistants through a combination of lectures, labs, and a paid clinical externship with a San Francisco healthcare facility.
Students will learn to perform a variety of clinical procedures, including assisting with minor surgery, performing electrocardiograms, administering medications, performing vitals, and maintaining equipment in an ambulatory care setting.
Upon completion of the program, students will have the necessary skills to gain employment in clinics, physician offices and other outpatient facilities.
The training includes:
- 140 hours of lectures/labs
- a paid, full-time clinical externship at a prominent Bay Area healthcare facility (upon successful completion of classroom training)
- scope of the clinical medical assistant role in a medical office
- professional skills including patient-provider communication
- job search, interviewing, online application, network skills instruction, and one-on-one job search support services
- skills training for the CCMA (Certified Clinical Medical Assistant) exam
- San Francisco residents preferred
- proof of valid authorization to work in the United States
- applicants must not have successfully completed another medical assistant program
- ability to provide current medical exams and immunization records
- ability to pass a criminal background check and drug screen
- high school diploma or GED
- age 18 or older
- English literacy
- basic math skills
What Job Seekers are saying:
“This was a great training in a short period of time with a good network for the externship. The support for developing soft skills was critical to prepare me for the internship & workplace.” – JVS alum
Who is Hiring Our Graduates?
Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation, UCSF through staffing agencies MGA and Aerotek, Dignity Health, Planned Parenthood, Genentech, several local clinics (urology, optometry, ophthalmology), and more to come.
If you’re nervous or scared about taking a risk, you should consider doing it with JVS. My life completely changed, and JVS was with me every step of the way. JVS gave me everything I needed. I got certified as a medical assistant, and I also learned how to manage up, speak to my peers, present myself in an interview, shake hands, and dress. I’ve succeeded in a way I had never imagined.David
We’re not currently accepting applications for this program. Join our email list to learn about future program dates and other events.
A Few of Our Instructors
Healthcare Training Coordinator
Michelle has 20 years of experience as a technology trainer. She is a certified CASAS eTests Online Coordinator and Microsoft Office Specialist. As an avid online learner, she has earned several certificates from Lynda.com and Coursera.org-UC San Diego, including courses on effective learning assessments.
Time Commitment: 5 months
Program Dates: Information coming soon
Clinical Externship: schedules vary
Location (clinical training): San Francisco State University (downtown campus), 835 Market Street, San Francisco
Additional training at:
JVS 225 Bush Street, Ste. 400, West Lobby, San Francisco
Certifications Included: Medical Assistant