Medical Assistant Certification Course with San Francisco State University
160-Hour Clinical Externship
JVS is teaming up with San Francisco State University and leading healthcare organizations to offer free tuition for a 4-6 month course. Students will receive training to become Medical Assistants through a combination of lectures, labs and a clinical externship.
Students will perform a variety of clinical procedures, including assisting with minor surgery, performing electrocardiograms, administering medications, educating patients and maintaining equipment in an ambulatory care setting.
Upon completion of the program, students will have the necessary skills to gain employment in clinics, physician offices and other outpatient facilities.
The training includes:
- 140 hours of lecture/labs and a 160-hour clinical externship
- scope of the clinical medical assistant role in a medical office
- professional skills including patient-provider communication
- job search, interviewing, online application, networking skills instruction, and one-on-one job search support services
- skills training for the medical assistant certification examination
- High school diploma or GED
- Age 18 or older
- Eligible to work in the US
- English literacy
- Basic math skills
- San Francisco resident preferred
*This program is grant funded and requires individual assessment for eligibility – please submit an application to be considered.
We’re not currently accepting applications for this program. Join our email list to learn of future program dates and other JVS events.
A Few of Our Instructors
Michelle has 20 years of experience as a technology trainer. She is a certified CASAS eTests Online Coordinator and Microsoft Office Specialist. As an avid online learner, she has earned several certificates from Lynda.com and Coursera.org-UC San Diego, including courses on effective learning assessments.
Time Commitment: 4-6 months
Program Dates: January 2019 – TBD
Schedule: M, Tu, W, F | 9:00am – 2:30pm
Clinical Externships: September/ October 2018
Location: San Francisco State University (downtown campus)