Medical Assistant Refresher
Are you a certified Medical Assistant looking to refresh your skills? JVS is your connection to training and employment at the Bay Area’s top hospital systems and clinics – Kaiser Permanente, John Muir Health, Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation and more.
The cohort beginning in February 2019 will partner with Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara and will include 5 weeks of classroom training and a 6-week paid externship.
Our free full-time courses for Medical Assistants offer classroom instruction, one-on-one support, opportunities for paid internships and support in finding employment. You will hone your clinical skills as well as learn and practice communication and other workplace skills that will set you apart from other candidates.
- clinical skills, such as taking vitals, injections and medical math
- patient communication and customer service skills
- critical thinking for problem solving and prioritization
- ways to thrive in team-based work environments
- review of scope of practice, HIPAA and other healthcare protocols
For your job search, you’ll also gain:
- a new job search and networking strategy
- job search, interviewing, online application and networking skills instruction
- one-on-one job search and placement assistance, as well as general support in completing our course
- Santa Clara County residents preferred
- graduate of an approved Medical Assistant program (injectable training preferred)
- current certification in CPR/Basic Life Support
- ability to provide current medical exams and immunization records
- ability to pass a criminal background check and drug screen
- ability to learn through classroom instruction and online learning
- high school diploma or equivalent degree
- proof of valid authorization to work in the United States
What job seekers are saying:
“This training helped me regain my confidence and belief that I have the potential to work as a medical assistant. It helped me grow professionally and personally as well. After completing the training, I am now confident that I have all of the tools and skills I need to become a successful MA at any hospital.” –Carla, John Muir Health Medical Assistant Refresher Alum
We’re not currently accepting applications for this program. Join our email list to learn about future program dates and other JVS events.
A Few of Our Instructors
Michelle has 20 years of experience as a technology trainer. She is a certified CASAS eTests Online Coordinator and Microsoft Office Specialist. As an avid online learner, she has earned several certificates from Lynda.com and Coursera.org-UC San Diego, including courses on effective learning assessments.
Aché is a dynamic leader, trainer and Fulbright Scholar who has partnered with global organizations to promote innovative change and leadership in business, education and healthcare. Aché has a keen eye for decoding the hidden possibilities in problems. Aché has leveraged her skills and experience into training multiple cycles of JVS’s Medical Administrative Assistant program with UCSF and has witnessed successful career placements that not only change lives, but transforms generations.
Senior Strategist, Healthcare Programs
Dorit’s work helps job seekers uncover ways to step out of their comfort zones to achieve their career goals. At JVS, Dorit develops and coordinates healthcare career pathway programs, facilitates interactive job readiness trainings and provides career coaching. She has a Masters of Public Health from the City University of New York and has 15+ years of experience leading programs that address social and economic inequities in the United States and internationally.
Dates: February 25 – May 14, 2019
Time Commitment: 11 weeks (5 days/week)
Location: Kaiser Permanente Skyport, 1721 Technology Dr., San Jose, CA 95110
Partial Pre-requisites: Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program, High School diploma or equivalent
Employer Partner: Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara
Cost: Free program, participants may need to pay for transportation, etc.