Are you a nurse looking to enter or re-enter the Bay Area job market? This program is designed for California licensed vocational or registered nurses who are looking to refresh their clinical skills. With 20+ years of experience partnering with local nursing programs and medical facilities, we have a strong track record of helping people get back to work.
This 17-week, 4 day/week program combines classroom training, clinical experience and job search support from JVS. Nearly 100% of our nursing graduates find jobs after program completion.
- 455 hours of theoretical practice, skills lab and clinical experience at City College of San Francisco (CCSF), Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital & Trauma Center and Laguna Honda Hospital & Rehabilitation Center
- ways to enhance your clinical practice through theoretical work and hands on experience in clinical rotations
- a better understanding of the US healthcare system and nurses’ scope of practice
For your job search, you’ll also gain:
- a new job search and networking strategy, including how to leverage JVS’s vast network and how to clearly communicate your value to future employers
- job search, interviewing, online application and networking skills instruction
- one-on-one job search and placement assistance, as well as general support in completing our course
- proof of current, active California LVN or RN license
- proof of valid authorization to work in the United States
- active American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
- current physical exam and immunization records (proof of positive titers drawn within the last 4 years for – Hepatitis B, Varicella, Measles, Mumps and Rubella)
- ability to pass a criminal background check and drug screen
- if you’re a non-native English speaker or if you completed a nursing program outside of the United States, you may need proof that you were placed at ESL 150 or above through a CCSF English placement test, or a copy of a U.S. nurse diploma with your application
Cost: There is no tuition. Students who are accepted into the program spend an average of $100-300 for a stethoscope, physical exam and immunizations, background check/drug screen and other supplies as needed. Students are responsible for their own transportation costs.
What job seekers are saying:
“Looking for work had been so discouraging without recent clinical experience. From the first day at JVS, I knew that I had reached a turning point. Everyone was so supportive, and I’m finally getting paid for what I’m trained to do!” -Nursing Refresher Alum
Funding for the Nursing Refresher Program is made possible through the generosity of the Marcled Foundation, the Mount Zion Health Fund (a supporting foundation of the Jewish Community Endowment Fund), the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation, the Bernard Osher Jewish Philanthropies Foundation of the Jewish Community Endowment Fund, JPMorgan Chase Foundation and Kaiser Foundation Hospital Fund for Community Benefit Programs.
Program Dates: January – May or August – December
Application Date: Apply Now
A Few of Our Instructors
Healthcare Program Coordinator
Of her 20+ years experience in healthcare, Teresa has spent nearly half of it helping nurses receive their licensure and find work. She is passionate about working with health professionals that are either returning to the field or starting their professional careers.
Two cohorts annually: January – May; August – December
Schedule: 4 days/week
Includes: 450 hours of theoretical practice and clinical experience
Requirements: Current, active California LVN or RN nursing license
Cost: No tuition; Average of $100-300 for supplies