Civil Service/Trades Pre-Apprenticeship
Are you interested in hands-on work in the skilled trades? Jobs like mechanic, electrician, instrument technician and operator are in high demand, and union apprenticeships offer excellent benefits and advancement opportunities. Public agencies like San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) and East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) offer good job opportunities with career pathway jobs, and our programs will prepare you for them.
We currently offer a free East Bay Civil Service Pre-apprenticeship Program. Our upcoming East Bay Civil Service Pre-apprenticeship Program gives students an opportunity to learn about entry-level jobs at Bay Area public water and wastewater agencies and prepare for apprenticeship tests.
This part-time program provides:
- Paid on-the-job training at Bay Area public agencies
- Preparation for success in the union apprenticeship and civil service process
- Instruction in math, test-taking strategies, and spatial & mechanical reasoning
- Job search skills, cover letter and resume assistance
- Site tours of potential employment sites at water and wastewater agencies
- Post-internship job placement services & referrals to job openings with Bay Area agencies
- Fill out the online application
- Eligible applicants with complete applications will be invited to math testing and an in-person interview
- High-scoring applicants will be accepted
- Selected candidates will be invited to attend a mandatory orientation/welcome session
Applications for the Los Medanos College Program are now closed.
Who is Hiring Our Graduates?
San Francisco Municipal Transportation, Waste Management of Alameda, MV Transportation, Cruise Automation
Our Utilities Team
Director of Utilities Programs
Elizabeth Toups has over 25 years of experience leading workforce education and training strategies, with particular expertise in the utilities and healthcare industries. In her role as Director of Utilities Training Programs, Elizabeth leads JVS’s efforts to build a more effective workforce pipeline leading to mission critical jobs in the public water/wastewater and transit sectors. Elizabeth is a graduate of the University of Kentucky and holds a master’s degree in public administration from Golden Gate University.
Senior Coordinator, Utilities Programs
Mario has over 13 years of experience supporting students from underserved communities and helping them to enter their career pathways. He has extensive experience working with immigrants, economically disadvantaged and diverse populations. In his previous role, Mario helped develop a program connecting first-generation students with resources and supportive networks to help them achieve their academic goals. Now at JVS, he supports job seekers who are pursuing careers in the skilled trades.
Coordinator, Utilities Programs
Mark prepared for the union and civil service exams by participating in the Laney College/JVS pilot math program, and he now mentors students who are pursuing careers in the skilled trades. “I get great satisfaction in my work here at JVS, and I enjoy seeing my students grow, achieve new levels of confidence, and become sought-after job seekers.”
Michael brings to JVS 16 years of experience in workforce development. In addition to serving as a manager on our Utilities team, Michael also serves as the manager of BAYWORK, a workforce consortium of over 35 water and wastewater utilities in the Greater Bay Area. Michael’s dual responsibilities are a reflection of the close cooperation between JVS and the utilities that make up BAYWORK. This collaboration gives the JVS Utilities team a high-level of access to leaders in the water sector, enhancing our ability to prepare clients for these well-paid and stable careers.
East Bay Civil Service Pre-apprenticeship
Dates: August 24, 2020 – December 18, 2020
Los Medanos College, Pittsburg
- Age 18 or older by August 1st, 2020
- Authorized to work in the U.S. by August 1st, 2020
- Able to obtain a driver’s license
- GED or high school diploma (preferred)
- Interest in the skilled trades
- Proof of Selective Service registration (males only)