Skilled Trades Internships in the Water Sector
Are you interested in hands-on work? Are you enrolled at a community college trades program? Get some experience with this PAID Internship program. Students who are interested in water sector jobs are encouraged to apply.
This program provides:
- Paid internship for 24-40 hours/week at Water/Wastewater Agencies in and around the SF BayArea
- Assistance with transportation and safety equipment costs
- Post-internship job placement services & referrals to job openings with Bay Area agencies
- Referral to local apprenticeship and civil service testing opportunities
- Fill out the online application
- Qualified applicants will be invited to a phone interview
- Eligible applicants with complete applications will be invited to an in-person interview
- Selected candidates must attend a mandatory orientation
Applications for the Skilled Trades Summer & Fall Internships in the Water Sector program are now closed.
Who is Hiring Our Graduates?
City of Redwood, City and County of San Francisco, Oro Loma Sanitary District, SamTrans, FedEx
Our Utilities Team
Director of Utilities Program
Elizabeth Toups has over 25 years of experience leading workforce education and training strategies, with particular expertise in the utilities and healthcare industries. In her role as Director of Utilities Training Programs, Elizabeth leads JVS’s efforts to build a more effective workforce pipeline leading to mission critical jobs in the public water/wastewater and transit sectors. Elizabeth is a graduate of the University of Kentucky and holds a master’s degree in public administration from Golden Gate University.
Senior Coordinator, Utilities Programs
Mario has over 13 years of experience supporting students from underserved communities and helping them to enter their career pathways. He has extensive experience working with immigrants, economically disadvantaged and diverse populations. In his previous role, Mario helped develop a program connecting first-generation students with resources and supportive networks to help them achieve their academic goals. Now at JVS, he supports job seekers who are pursuing careers in the skilled trades.
Coordinator, Utilities Programs
Mark prepared for the union and civil service exams by participating in the Laney College/JVS pilot math program, and he now mentors students who are pursuing careers in the skilled trades. “I get great satisfaction in my work here at JVS, and I enjoy seeing my students grow, achieve new levels of confidence, and become sought-after job seekers.”
Michael brings to JVS 16 years of experience in workforce development. In addition to serving as a manager on our Utilities team, Michael also serves as the manager of BAYWORK, a workforce consortium of over 35 water and wastewater utilities in the Greater Bay Area. Michael’s dual responsibilities are a reflection of the close cooperation between JVS and the utilities that make up BAYWORK. This collaboration gives the JVS Utilities team a high-level of access to leaders in the water sector, enhancing our ability to prepare clients for these well-paid and stable careers.
Program Duration: 10 weeks up to 6 months – Summer and Fall 2021
Start dates are dependent upon when water/wastewater utilities make internship openings available
SF Bay Area Water & Wastewater Agencies (Specific sites TBD)
- Age 18 or older by the starting date of Internship
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Valid driver’s license
- Access to a vehicle
- Enrolled in a community college trades program related to maintenance and operations at a water facility, such as:
- Instrumentation/Electronic Maintenance Tech
- Industrial maintenance mechanic/machinist
- Water Resources Management (Operator Training)
- Interest in water/ wastewater agency jobs
- Proof of Select Services registration (males only)