Are you interested in hands-on work? Are you enrolled at a community college trades program? Get some experience with this PAID Internship program. Students who are interested in water sector jobs are encouraged to apply.
This program provides:
- Paid internship for 24-40 hours/week at Water/Wastewater Agencies in and around the Inland Empire
- Assistance with transportation and safety equipment costs
- Post-internship job placement services & referrals to job openings with Inland Empire agencies
- Referral to local apprenticeship and civil service testing opportunities
- Fill out the online application
- Qualified applicants will be invited to a phone interview
- Eligible applicants with complete applications will be invited to an in-person interview
- Selected candidates must attend a mandatory orientation
Applications for the IE Works Internship program are now closed.
Our Utilities Team
Director of Utilities Programs
Elizabeth Toups has over 25 years of experience leading workforce education and training strategies, with particular expertise in the utilities and healthcare industries. In her role as Director of Utilities Training Programs, Elizabeth leads JVS’s efforts to build a more effective workforce pipeline leading to mission critical jobs in the public water/wastewater and transit sectors. Elizabeth is a graduate of the University of Kentucky and holds a master’s degree in public administration from Golden Gate University.
Senior Coordinator, Utilities Programs
Mario has over 13 years of experience supporting students from underserved communities and helping them to enter their career pathways. He has extensive experience working with immigrants, economically disadvantaged and diverse populations. In his previous role, Mario helped develop a program connecting first-generation students with resources and supportive networks to help them achieve their academic goals. Now at JVS, he supports job seekers who are pursuing careers in the skilled trades.
Michael brings to JVS 16 years of experience in workforce development. In addition to serving as a manager on our Utilities team, Michael also serves as the manager of BAYWORK, a workforce consortium of over 35 water and wastewater utilities in the Greater Bay Area. Michael’s dual responsibilities are a reflection of the close cooperation between JVS and the utilities that make up BAYWORK. This collaboration gives the JVS Utilities team a high-level of access to leaders in the water sector, enhancing our ability to prepare clients for these well-paid and stable careers.
Program Duration: 10 weeks up to 6 months – Summer and Fall 2021
Inland Empire Water & Wastewater Agencies (Specific sites TBD)
- Age 18 or older by the starting date of Internship
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Valid driver’s license
- Access to a vehicle
- Enrolled in a community college trades program related to maintenance and operations at a water facility, such as:
- Instrumentation/Electronic Maintenance Tech
- Water Resources Management (Operator Training)
- Interest in water/ wastewater agency jobs
- Proof of Select Services registration (males only)