Why Join JVS?
Do work that matters, supporting the mission of JVS (Jewish Vocational Service) which helps people find good, living wage jobs. Our mission is to transforms lives by helping people build skills and find work to achieve self-sufficiency.
Since 1973, JVS has helped more than 85,000 people in the Bay Area to build skills, find jobs and transform their lives.
JVS is seeking a Development Department to raise crucial funds to support the award-winning work of JVS, a $14M agency that transforms lives by helping people build skills and find a career path to living-wage employment. The department is also responsible for external marketing, messaging, branding and cultivating key relationships with Bay Area businesses and philanthropic communities.
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Development, the Development Manager plays a key role in managing annual fund campaigns, donor stewardship, and events within the Development Department. This is an ideal position for a donor-centric and detail-oriented candidate who thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic environment. This position offers an opportunity to gain broad fundraising experience as a key member of a high-performing fundraising team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the agency’s fundraising activities primarily by focusing on the following areas: annual fundraising campaigns, donor stewardship & recognition, and event planning & logistics.
Annual Fund Campaigns
- In collaboration with the Assistant Director of Development, set strategy and creative direction for the Annual Fund program, helping the team improve retention and acquisition rates to meet our fundraising goals.
- Implement and evaluate the organization’s annual fundraising campaigns, including creating compelling solicitation letters, developing segmented mailing lists, working with vendors, etc.
- Identify trends in giving patterns to inform direct mail solicitations and adapt annual fund strategies as needed to reach general campaign goals.
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to develop an annual calendar, online giving strategy, and high-impact marketing materials to support regular donor communications and solicitations.
- Ensure the development and upkeep of portfolios for frontline fundraisers; implement reporting and tracking systems to support annual cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Manage pipeline of new donors; ensuring that all notable donors are stewarded in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Design and implement database tracking systems that support donor engagement and fundraising growth, including engagement plans, prospect research and mailing list acquisition.
- Support the ongoing maintenance of audience tracking and list management systems to ensure efficient reporting for mailings, e-communications.
- Collaborate with Corporate Partnerships team to support volunteer engagement and to increase workplace giving.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Client Services team to support program alumni engagement and campaigns.
Donor Stewardship & Recognition
- Oversee donor acknowledgement process and donor recognition; ensure templates are updated on a regular basis and customized based on donor or audience.
- Create and implement a dynamic stewardship calendar with a variety of written materials and special communications that provide a steady and positive message of gratitude, including but not limited to annual Thank-a-thon, holiday cards, thank you notes, etc.
- Assist in the development and coordination of other donor stewardship and cultivation activities as needed: quarterly major donor reports, donor facing volunteer events, meetings with institutional funders or prospects, etc.
- Respond to donor and staff inquires, as needed.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Director of Development, plan and execute all logistical aspects of JVS’s premier annual major fundraising event, Strictly Business.
- Support the planning and execution of other donor stewardship and cultivation events, by drafting invitations, creating segmented mailing lists, working with vendors, etc.
- Strong customer service and relationship management skills. Consistently respectful, dependable and reliable; inspires trust.
- Self-starter with strong independent judgment, discretion and critical thinking; ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team, and to stay focused under pressure.
- Innovative and creative approach to projects and problem solution; suggests logical, realistic solutions based on data and best practices; knows when to consult.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects in a very fast-paced, performance-oriented environment.
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to master new tasks quickly.
- Excellent communications skills, including the ability to write and edit polished communications for board, donors and volunteers; able to clearly communicate ideas and solutions persuasively; adjusts communication style to best suit audience.
- Comfortable learning new technologies and software platforms; able to troubleshoot issues and suggest improvements.
- Model professional presentation/behavior, exercising discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with a diverse staff and clientele.
- Leverages supervision to identify opportunities for professional development; provides feedback to supervisor.
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience as a development manager or coordinator in a nonprofit or educational setting.
- Experience using Microsoft Office.
- Experience with Salesforce NPSP or similar relational database.
- Experience with direct mail campaigns, donor relations and event planning.
To apply for the Development Manager role click HERE
What We Offer:
- Salary starting at $77k
- Remote work during Shelter in Place
- Equitable pay
- 100% covered medical, dental, and vision plans for the employee
- Flexible PTO + Paid Sick Leave
- Paid federal and Jewish holidays
- 403(b) retirement contribution match
- $250 workstation set-up budget
- Parental leave policy for new parents
- Employer HSA contribution
- FSA and Dependent Care FSA
- Pet Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Professional development opportunities
JVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. We welcome diverse applicants. Please let us know if you need accommodations or auxiliary aids for the interview process.
JVS values intersectional racial equity and strives to center people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ+ people. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other communities that experience marginalization.