Summary of Position
JVS has developed a customized program to provide dislocated workers and individuals who are long term unemployed with accelerated job search skills training, online and in-person education, coaching and employer connections necessary to obtain employment in an increasingly technology-based economy. The Career Advisors support clients in all aspects of the job search process. Coaching is provided in one on one and group settings with the ultimate goal of job placement.
Job Search Accelerator (JSA)
- Reports to: JSA Program Manager
- Collaborates with: JVS Staff, clients, community organizations, and employer partners
- Supervises: No direct reports
- Support and coach clients in all aspects of the job search process through labor market research, job development, resume writing, networking, interviewing and salary negotiation.
- Develop job search strategy with clients
- Facilitates weekly workshop training for JSA/Tech Alumni called “Master Your Materials”
- Manages volunteer to help review resumes
- Trains and facilitates workshops that help clients master Resume to apply for jobs
- Refer clients to additional resources as appropriate
- Update client records
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent customer service and relationship management skills
- Computer proficiency, especially with MicroSoft Office, online research and relational databases
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage priorities and timelines
- Record and data management skills; able to update information in a timely manner
- Initiative and flexibility
- Thrives in a multi-cultural environment with a diverse staff and clientele
- Models professional presentation
- com database proficiency
- Experience in professional networking skills, including building LinkedIn profiles
- Group facilitation skills
- Demonstrated experience providing job search, career coaching and counseling services
- Understanding of and experience with market/hiring trends in the Bay Area
- A./B.S. degree or equivalent experience in relevant field
- PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Career Advising Services Work with the Job Search Accelerator team to contact and follow-up with shared clients
- Provide coaching through all aspects of the job search process including:
- Labor market research
- Resume writing
- Cover letter writing
- Development a job “pitch”
- Mock interviews
- Salary negotiations
- Labor law questions
- Support clients through the job search and post job placement activities by providing feedback, and referring them to JVS and other applicable services
- With regard to job search strategy, assist clients in identifying short and long term goals, determining occupational qualifications and mapping out strategies to reach those goals
- Using Salesforce, ensure consistency, confidentiality and full contract compliance in the documentation of client job search activities; support contract reporting requirements through accurate documentation of outcomes
- Under the direction of the JSA Manager, work with JSA team to reach contractually driven placement and retention goals
- Identify and communicate opportunities for clients to meet with potential employers
- Identify and leverage appropriate networking connections
Want to Apply? Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org; please use Career Advisor in the subject line. Principals only, no phone calls, please.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- This position will be working in a typical office setting, with no extremes in temperature or lighting
- Applicants should be able to work with equipment typically found in an office and should be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without accommodation. Possible accommodations needed should be discussed prior to the onset of employment and/or the interview process.
Status and Position Information
Department/Program: Job Search Accelerator
Classifications: Part-time, Hourly/Contingent, Non-exempt
Date Written/Revised: 4/9/19
This position is contingent on funding and will be evaluated annually.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to this job.
JVS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities; please let us know if you need accommodations for the interview process.