Development & Grants Assistant
The Development and Grants Departments raise crucial funds to support the award-winning work of JVS, a $15M agency that transforms lives by helping people build skills and find work. The department is also responsible for external messaging, branding and cultivating key relationships with Bay Area businesses and philanthropic communities.
Summary of Position
The Development & Grants Assistant plays a key role in supporting fundraising operations and events within the Development and Grants Departments. This is an ideal position for someone who is interested in a broad fundraising experience.
Development & Grants
- Reports to Development Manager; Grants Manager (dual reporting)
- Collaborates with: Grants Associate, VP of Grants and Program Development, Development Coordinator, VP of Development
- Supervises: no direct reports
- Supports the agency’s fundraising activities primarily by administering donation entry and acknowledgment processes. Also maintains accurate and up to date donor and solicitor contact information, supports Strictly Business and other fundraising events or activities as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent customer service skills; strong interpersonal skills including patience, flexibility, judgment, discretion and tact.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects in a very fast-paced, performance-oriented environment.
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to master new tasks quickly.
- Self-starter with strong independent judgment, discretion and problem-solving abilities; ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team, and to stay focused under pressure. Excellent communications skills, including the ability to write and edit communications for the board, donors and volunteers.
- Model professional presentation/behavior, exercising discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with a diverse staff and clientele.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a development or administrative assistant, preferably in a nonprofit or educational setting.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- Experience using mail merge function in Word. Familiarity with sorting, formatting and producing reports in Excel.
- Experience with The Raiser’s Edge 7 or similar relational database. Interest in nonprofit management and/or fundraising.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Development & Grants Support
- Adhering to carefully-designed procedures, ensures that all grants and donations are processed accurately and efficiently, and enters all gifts into the Raiser’s Edge database.
- Administers the acknowledgment process, including generating letters in the Raiser’s Edge database and customizing for donors and funders as necessary.
- Enters and updates donor and solicitor information in the Raiser’s Edge database. Makes recommendations to improve the accuracy and efficiency of the Raiser’s Edge database and to “clean up” data.
- Provides support to the Development and Grants teams in scheduling and preparing for funder visits, donor cultivation events, or other special events as needed.
Development Team Support
- Provides support for all aspects of the annual Strictly Business Awards Luncheon; assists in mailing invitations; works in close collaboration with the entire Development Team in registering and seating over 1,000 guests at the luncheon with 100% accuracy. Supports all event follow-up, including data entry and production of personalized thank you letters.
- Solicit and compile in-kind donations from local businesses
Grants Team Support
- Researches, summarizes and analyzes prospective funders for JVS using online research and database tools
- Assists Grants team in generating reports for funders using Salesforce CRM as needed
WANT TO APPLY? Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com; Please use Development and Grants Assistant on the subject line. Principals only no phone calls, please.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- This position will be working in a typical office setting, with no extremes in temperature or lighting
- Able to occasionally travel and present at offsite locations in the Bay Area
- Able to transport/carry presentation materials
- Applicants should be able to work with equipment typically found in an office and should be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without accommodation. Possible accommodations needed should be discussed prior to the onset of employment and/or the interview process.
Status and Position Information
Department/Program: Development & Grants
Supervisor/Reports to: Development Manager & Grants Manager (dual reporting)
Classifications: Full time
Date Written/Revised: 11/1/2018
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to this job.
JVS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities; please let us know if you need accommodations for the interview process.