For over 45 years and through five recessions, JVS has helped more than 80,000 job seekers develop in-demand skills, make connections, and get good jobs. The Development Department raises crucial funds to support the award-winning work of JVS, a $14M agency that transforms lives by helping people build skills and find a career path to living-wage employment. The department is also responsible for external marketing, messaging, branding and cultivating key relationships with Bay Area businesses and philanthropic communities.
Summary of Position
The Development Assistant plays a key role in supporting fundraising operations and events within the Development Department. This is an ideal position for a detail-oriented candidate who thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic environment. This position offers an opportunity to gain broad fundraising experience as a key member of a high-performing fundraising team.
- Reports to Development Manager
- Collaborates with: Chief Development Officer, Director of Corporate Giving & Partnerships, Development Coordinator, Grant Writer
- Supervises: no direct reports
- Supports the agency’s fundraising activities primarily by administering donation entry and acknowledgement processes. Also maintains accurate and up to date donor and solicitor contact information, maintains grant reporting calendar and supports fundraising events or activities, and provides additional administrative support as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent customer service skills; strong interpersonal skills including patience, flexibility, judgment, discretion and tact.
- Self-starter with strong independent judgment, discretion and critical thinking; ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team, and to stay focused under pressure.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects in a very fast-paced, performance-oriented environment.
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to master new tasks quickly.
- Excellent communications skills, including the ability to write and edit polished communications for board, donors and volunteers.
- Comfortable learning new technologies and software platforms; able to troubleshoot issues and suggest improvements.
- Model professional presentation/behavior, exercising discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with a diverse staff and clientele.
- Minimum one year of office experience, preferably as development or administrative assistant in a nonprofit or educational setting.
- Experience using Microsoft Office.
- Familiar with The Raiser’s Edge 7 or similar relational database and capacity to enter accurate data.
- Demonstrated ability to generate professional e-mails, memos, and business letters.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- Experience using mail merge function in Word. Familiarity with sorting, formatting and producing reports in Excel.
- Interest in nonprofit management and/or fundraising.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Adhering to carefully-designed procedures, ensures that all grants and donations are processed accurately and efficiently, and enters all gifts into the Raiser’s Edge database.
- Administers the acknowledgement process, including generating letters in the Raiser’s Edge database and customizing for donors and funders as necessary.
- Enters and updates donor and solicitor information in the Raiser’s Edge database. Makes recommendations to improve the accuracy and efficiency of the Raiser’s Edge database and to “clean up” data.
- Assists Development team in running queries and reports to support mailings or funder requirements.
- Maintains updated grants proposal and reporting calendar in Raiser’s Edge and Asana.
- Supports collection of supplemental materials for grants proposals and reports.
- Supports cross-departmental communication of funding details and award requirements.
- Assists Development team in generating reports for funders using Salesforce CRM as needed.
- Provide support as needed with foundation and partnership meetings and follow up.
- Provides support for all aspects of the annual Strictly Business Awards Luncheon; assists in mailing invitations; works in close collaboration with the entire Development team in registering and seating over 1,000 guests at the luncheon with 100% accuracy. Supports all event follow-up, including data entry and production of personalized thank you letters.
- Provides support to the Development team in scheduling and preparing for funder visits, donor cultivation events, or other special events as needed.
- Researches, summarizes and analyzes prospective donors and funders for JVS using iWave and other tools
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- This position will be working in a typical office setting, with no extremes in temperature or lighting
- Able to occasionally travel and present at offsite locations in the Bay Area
- Able to transport/carry presentation materials
- Applicants should be able to work with equipment typically found in an office and should be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without accommodation. Possible accommodations needed should be discussed prior to the onset of employment and/or the interview process.
Status and Position Information
Supervisor/Reports to: Development Manager
Classifications: Full time
Date Written/Revised: July 2020
Want to Apply? Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org; Please use Development Assistant in the subject line. Principals only, no phone calls, please.
JVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. Culturally and racially diverse applicants are encouraged to apply. Please let us know if you need accommodations or aids for the interview process.
Are there benefits? Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability, EAP, 403B, generous vacation & sick leave, and most Federal and Jewish holidays.
Compensation: This is a full-time, nonexempt position. Salary range: 47 to 54.5K
Who are we? Founded in 1973, Jewish Vocational Service (JVS) transforms lives by helping people build skills and find jobs to achieve self-sufficiency. JVS is a non-sectarian, nonprofit organization. For more information about the agency, and a full job description for this position, please visit our website at www.jvs.org
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to this job.
JVS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities; please let us know if you need accommodations for the interview process.