JVS Job Description
For over 45 years and through five recessions, JVS has helped more than 80,000 job seekers develop in-demand skills, make connections, and get good jobs. The Development Department raises crucial funds to support the award-winning work of JVS, a $14M agency that transforms lives by helping people build skills and find a career path to living-wage employment. The department is also responsible for external marketing, messaging, branding and cultivating key relationships with Bay Area businesses and philanthropic communities.
Summary of Position
The Development Coordinator plays a key role in supporting fundraising operations and events within the Development Department. This is an ideal position for a detail-oriented candidate who thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic environment. This position offers an opportunity to gain broad fundraising experience as a key member of a high-performing fundraising team.
- Reports to Development Manager
- Collaborates with: Chief Development Officer, Director of Corporate Giving & Partnerships, Development Assistant, Marketing Team
- Supervises: no direct reports
- Supports the agency’s fundraising activities primarily by focusing on four key areas: donor stewardship, fundraising campaigns, data management, and event coordination.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Strong customer service and relationship management skills. Consistently respectful, dependable and reliable; inspires trust.
- Self-starter with strong independent judgment, discretion and critical thinking; ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team, and to stay focused under pressure.
- Innovative and creative approach to projects and problem solution; suggests logical, realistic solutions based on data and best practices; knows when to consult.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects in a very fast-paced, performance-oriented environment.
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to master new tasks quickly.
- Excellent communications skills, including the ability to write and edit polished communications for board, donors and volunteers; able to clearly communicate ideas and solutions persuasively; adjusts communication style to best suit audience.
- Comfortable learning new technologies and software platforms; able to troubleshoot issues and suggest improvements.
- Model professional presentation/behavior, exercising discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with a diverse staff and clientele.
- Leverages supervision to identify opportunities for professional development; provides feedback to supervisor.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience as a development assistant or coordinator in a nonprofit or educational setting.
- Experience using Microsoft Office.
- Experience with The Raiser’s Edge 7, Salesforce or similar relational database.
- Experience with donor relations and event planning.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Help develop and execute a dynamic stewardship calendar with a variety of written materials and special communications that provide a steady and positive message of gratitude:
- Ensure relevant team members are aware of all gifts that require personal thank you
- Manage pipeline of new donors; ensuring that all new notable donors are assigned a lead and responded to in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Develop acknowledgement letter templates, help produce donor materials, and manage other ongoing correspondence with individual donors
- Coordinate holiday card mailings and other high touch points to mid-sum and major donors
- Assist in coordination of other donor stewardship and cultivation activities as needed: quarterly major donor reports, donor facing volunteer events, meetings with institutional funders or prospects, etc.
- Respond to donor and staff inquires, as assigned.
- Support the planning and execution of fundraising campaigns, including drafting compelling solicitation letters, exporting and segmenting mailing lists, working with vendors, etc.
- Maintain updated and segmented donor mailing lists in Mailchimp; generate mailing lists from Raiser’s Edge for special CEO communications as needed.
- Collaborate with Corporate Partnerships team to increase workplace and volunteer giving.
- Support JVS annual major fundraising event, the Strictly Business Awards Luncheon.
- Coordinate invitation process with staff teams
- Oversee Strictly Business registration in collaboration with Development Assistant
- Coordinate annual Thank-a-Thon; support other special events as needed.
- Raiser’s Edge system admin: new user set up and onboarding.
- Support efforts to ensure data quality and accuracy in Raiser’s Edge database; produce exports and reports as needed.
- Maintain solicitor portfolios, update proposal records, and document donor contacts and activities in Raiser’s Edge.
- Oversee pledge reminder process.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- This position will be working in a typical office setting, with no extremes in temperature or lighting
- Able to occasionally travel and present at offsite locations in the Bay Area
- Able to transport/carry presentation materials
- Applicants should be able to work with equipment typically found in an office and should be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without accommodation. Possible accommodations needed should be discussed prior to the onset of employment and/or the interview process.
Status and Position Information
Supervisor/Reports to: Development Manager
Classifications: Full time
Date Written/Revised: July 2020
Want to Apply? Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com; Please use Development Coordinator in the subject line. Principals only, no phone calls, please.
JVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. Culturally and racially diverse applicants are encouraged to apply. Please let us know if you need accommodations or aids for the interview process.
Are there benefits? Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability, EAP, 403B, generous vacation & sick leave, and most Federal and Jewish holidays.
Compensation: This is a full-time, nonexempt position. Salary range: 59 to 63K
Who are we? Founded in 1973, Jewish Vocational Service (JVS) transforms lives by helping people build skills and find jobs to achieve self-sufficiency. JVS is a non-sectarian, nonprofit organization. For more information about the agency, and a full job description for this position, please visit our website at www.jvs.org
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to this job.
JVS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities; please let us know if you need accommodations for the interview process.