Temple Sinai, a 950 family congregation in Oakland, CA, was founded in 1875 and is the oldest congregation in the East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area. A warm, vibrant, and extremely diverse reform synagogue led by Rabbi Jacqueline Mates-Muchin, Temple Sinai provides meaningful Jewish learning and ritual experiences for all ages and stages of life including its award-winning, state-of-the art preschool, progressive religious school, and thriving community service and adult education programs. Temple Sinai is a large, urban synagogue with a strong connection to the local Oakland community, serving as a hub for local community service, social activism, and bridge-building between different religious, racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups citywide.
To learn more, please visit our website at www.oaklandsinai.org.
The Education Program Assistant provides support to all aspects of Temple Sinai’s educational programs for our youngest children in our Preschool and children in grades K-12 and their families. This includes our innovative, nationally recognized Religious School (which meets one to two times weekly for students in grades K-6), monthly Family School program, Youth Program, 12th grade Confirmation and all associated events. With 350 students and 200 families participating in Sinai’s programming on a regular basis, this role imparts Jewish learning and builds a positive Jewish identity and cultural practice for hundreds of East Bay students every week.
The Education Program Assistant works in a collaborative environment with the Education Department staff, Temple Sinai administrative staff, the clergy, the Executive Director, and with children and their families.
Duties and responsibilities
The Education Program Assistant position is a non-exempt full-time position. The hours are Sunday - Thursday either 8-4 or 11-7 (depending on the day). During school holiday times and in the summer the schedule is subject to change in collaboration with the Director of Education & the Early Childhood Director.
- Promotes team work and collaboration
- Maintains confidentiality of all children, families and staff
- Responds in a professional manner to co-workers and families
- Greets parents/care-givers warmly and responds promptly to their requests
- Understands and supports the policies of Temple Sinai educational programs
- Be neat and organized
- Thinks on your feet and adapts as situations change
- Produces lists
- Tracks and coordinates data
- Maintains accurate records and materials
- Supports programs and teachers
- Provides communication support
- Orders supplies and snacks
- Supervises students during recess
- Answers phones and responds to concerns
- Manages payroll
- Serves as registrar for Preschool, Religious School, Youth Programs and related events
- Participates in staff meetings as needed
- Substitutes in classroom and relieves teachers only as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the Early Childhood Director or Director of Education
- Sets up before and cleans up after programs
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Driver’s license required for small errands
- Accessible and agreeable to use own vehicle with mileage reimbursement
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and database entry and willing to learn new computer programs
- Experience with social media and e-marketing tools
- Proficient at multitasking and acting as a team player
- Able to accomplish tasks accurately and quickly with a sense of urgency
- Strong writing skills
- Educational experience, Jewish knowledge, and synagogue familiarity preferred
The Education Program Assistant’s hours include Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings during the academic year.
- Lift up to forty pounds
- Current health screening
- Adhere to the sick policy
- Demonstrate full range of motion (i.e. kneel/be on child’s level for extended periods of time, sit on the ﬂoor, stand to supervise children during outside time)
- Wear appropriate clothes & shoes
- Move quickly between activities