Field Trip Explainers serve as educators for field trips and general visitors during the school year. The Field Trip Explainers report to the Field Trips Manager and Director.
- Greet and orient school groups as they arrive at the museum for their field trips.
- Conduct demonstrations and engage students in explorations of exhibits.
- Oversee all areas open to the public and identify and report broken exhibits.
- Answer students' and teachers’ questions about the exhibits and the museum.
- Support other Explainers by filling in as needed and through good, regular communication.
- Participate in regular Explainer trainings.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to teach in a non-classroom setting.
- Ability and interest in learning exhibits and their scientific principles and communicating these to students and teachers.
- Demonstrated interest in education.
- Able to interact with and manage large groups.
- Able to exercise good judgement (think on your feet).
- Self-pacing with the ability to work in a dynamic environment with moderate supervision.
- Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Cantonese highly desirable.
Open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
This is a fixed-term, part-time (27 hours per week), non-exempt, union position that includes benefits. The position begins as soon as hired and ends on June 12, 2020. The schedule is Tuesdays 9:15am-5:15pm, Wednesday 8:30am-3:15pm, Thursdays 8:30am-4:15pm, and Fridays 8:30am-3:00pm. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page.
The Exploratorium is committed to providing equal employment without regard to race, color, religious expression, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, genetic information, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran’s status or any other class protected by applicable law.
The Exploratorium will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.