Foundational Skills Specialist
Summary of Position
Program: Career Pathway Program, Early Childhood Education (ECE) (part of High School Bridge Team)
Mission: Partner with ECE employers and postsecondary education institutions to provide access to ECE training, work-based learning, and other activities that ultimately support placement ECE employment and sustained career growth.
- Reports to: Career Pathway Program, ECE Coordinator
- Collaborates with: JVS staff, City College of San Francisco (CCSF) staff and employer partners
- Supervises: No supervisory responsibility
- Support transitional age youth (TAY), ages 18-24 transitioning to education and employment in ECE career pathways via group and individual basic skills coaching in writing, math and study skills.
Qualifications and competencies
Drives to Outcomes using resources/data
- Strong computer proficiency
- MS Office Suite
- Adaptable to new technology, including electronic case notes in Salesforce
- Mastery of essential math and English language skills
Collaborates and Cultivates Partnerships
- Able to effectively collaborate with program staff, CCSF teachers and counselors to support academic development and success of program participants
- Able to provide group and individual coaching to support young adults with course assignments, building study, research, reading and writing skills
Commits to Professional Growth
Seeks out ways to continually improve in the job and in own professional development.
- Gathers relevant information with attention to detail
- Exercises good judgment; understands when to ask for consultation
Communicates Effectively & Respectfully
- English fluency and excellent writing skills
Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence
- Listens to participant requests and perspectives; appropriately follows up with participant to address participant need
- Able identify participant needs and provide or connect to appropriate supports/resources; considers cultural and economic differences
- Open to new ideas and differing perspectives; willing to change plans and priorities based on feedback and input
- Bilingual English and Spanish and/or English and Cantonese
- Familiarity with California’s Community College system
- Familiarity with early childhood education field (personally, academically, professionally, etc.)
- Familiarity with Salesforce
- Experience supporting young adults with course assignments, building study, research, reading and writing skills
- Ability to engage and support a cohort of learners at various academic levels and to motivate them to persist
- Skill working with adults of diverse backgrounds, including English learners
- Ability to integrate technology into instruction
- Flexibility to meet the needs of learners is required
- Ability to work with teachers, staff, and administrators in a collaborative, productive, and supportive manner
- Experience as a writing tutor and/or English as a Second Language (ESL) or Adult Basic Education (ABE) instructor
- Experience supporting math skill development
- BA/BS in education or relevant field
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Through one-on-one and group coaching, support career pathway participants in:
- Completion of academic course assignments
- Building research, reading and writing skills
- Developing time management and study skills
- Connecting to post-secondary educational support services, as needed
- Participate in case conferences with program staff and CCSF teachers and counselors, as appropriate
- Track student success, needs, academic trends and work with the program coordinator to incorporate into overall program design
- Ensure program documentation and comply with agency and funder reporting requirements
- Support outreach and additional program activities, as needed
WANT TO APPLY? Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com; put Foundational Specialist in the subject line. Principals only no phone calls, please.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- This position will be working in a typical office and/or school setting, with no extremes in temperature or lighting
- Able to travel and present at offsite locations in the Bay Area
- Able to transport/carry program materials to school sites
- Applicants should be able to work with equipment typically found in an office and should be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without accommodation. Possible accommodations needed should be discussed prior to the onset of employment and/or the interview process.
STATUS AND POSITION INFORMATION
Department/program: HSB/Career Pathways
Classification: Full-time, regular, non-exempt
Date written/revised: 12/20/18
This position is contingent on funding and will be evaluated annually.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to this job.
JVS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities; please let us know if you need accommodations for the interview process.