The Living Systems Laboratory Technician I provides support for laboratory operations that support public exhibits and programs in the Living Systems area of the Exploratorium. This person will have a role in maintaining all plant and animal life, as well as daily set-up of exhibits. An interest in natural phenomena and an ability to collaborate in a team environment are crucial aspects of the position.
- Daily set-up of Life Sciences exhibits
- Daily preparation of solutions and cultures required to support exhibit set-up
- Daily live microscope demonstrations for the public
- Routine maintenance of exhibits and lab equipment
- Routine care of marine invertebrates, plants, freshwater fish, terrariums, and insect colonies
- Contribute to troubleshooting and repair of problem LS exhibits
- Maintain order and cleanliness of laboratory and equipment
- Additional duties, as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in the biological sciences or significant credits towards a degree
- Demonstrated interest in biology
- Demonstrated experience or interest in working with live organisms
- Basic laboratory skills
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to lift and carry 25lbs for short distances
- Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Cantonese desirable
- Flexible Schedule
This position is open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
This is a regular, full-time (37.5 hours per week), non-exempt, union position that includes benefits. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page.
The Exploratorium is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity, inclusion and respect. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.