Position Title: Marketing and Communications Manager
Reports to: Senior Director of Membership and Engagement Operations
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
At Congregation Emanu-El, we believe that Judaism guides us on our journey to be better people, create stronger community, and repair the world.
We are searching for the right person to help us communicate the many ways we carry out this vision, and to ensure that all our marketing and communications materials reflect and uphold it.
Congregation Emanu-El seeks a creative, tech-savvy and self-motivated Marketing and Communications Manager with experience handling both internal and external marketing and communications. The ideal candidate will guide and implement a marketing/communications plan across all channels, including website, e-newsletters, monthly magazine, social media, public relations messages and printed material/collateral. The ideal candidate will create fresh and innovative content that not only informs but also generates excitement about the Temple for current members, potential members and the larger community. Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in new media are essential, along with excellent writing, editing, proofreading, and layout skills and a forward-thinking sense of design. The successful candidate will manage (1) full-time staff member in the Marketing and Communications Department.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will work closely with the Senior Director of Membership and Engagement Operations, clergy, and other staff to ensure that all of the congregation’s internal and external marketing and communications are consistent, engaging, accurate, and advance organizational priorities.
- Develop and implement an annual marketing/communications plan
- Lead the creation and publication of content across channels that engages stakeholders and leads to measurable engagement (such as volunteering, joining, and participating in programs)
- Review and update an organization-wide style and branding guide
- Manage and strategically utilize video, audio, and still photography recording of key events
- Ensure the website remains fresh with current content
- Supervise and direct the workflow of communications requests, ensuring requests are handled in a timely fashion
- Oversee Emanu-El’s digital photo library to enhance marketing and communications efforts
- Ensure the Marketing and Communications Department is using the most effective technical tools, software, and systems, and that department staff maintains sufficient skills as the tools evolve
- Research trends in synagogues, houses of worship and nonprofits across the country and implement best practices
- Manage vendors and/or consultants involved in marketing/ communications efforts
- Manage all media contacts and develop relationships with new contacts
- Build and manage a marketing/communications budget
- Leadership skills to enhance and grow marketing/communication strategy throughout the organization
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills with a keen attention to detail and dedication to accuracy
- Ability to manage a variety of projects and initiatives concurrently.
- Commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, clergy, board, volunteers, program participants, and other supporters—a team player who can both lead and carry out the vision of other leaders when directed
- Self-starter, able to work independently
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and 5 years’ experience or an equivalent combination
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
- Proficiency in CRM/database systems (Salesforce preferred), Marketing Cloud (or other marketing automation system like Pardot), Microsoft Office 365, WordPress, and software programs including InDesign, Photoshop/Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
Benefits and Salary
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and full benefits, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, flexible benefits plan and 403b employer match.
Congregation Emanu-El is the fifth largest Jewish Reform congregation in the United States, with 2100+ households, and is the oldest Jewish congregation west of the Mississippi. Officially established in 1850, and located in a landmark temple in San Francisco, Emanu-El serves as a foundation of community life for Jews and non-Jews, for members and non-members, with innovative programs in worship, community and education that span the cycles and events of life.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to: MarComJob@emanuelsf.org