The Development Department, comprised of marketing, fundraising, and community outreach programs, raises nearly $5 million annually to support the work of JVS and is responsible for all of our external messaging and branding.
Summary of Position: The Marketing Communications Manager creates a strategy and maintains structure for the JVS brand. This position also manages campaigns to diverse audiences, including JVS clients, donors, and employers. The MCM also reinforces JVS’ thought leadership in fighting poverty through helping people build skills that will enable them to find work.
- Reports to: Vice President, Development and Marketing
- Collaborates with: JVS Staff, Clients, Volunteers, and the JVS Marketing Committee
- Supervises: Marketing Coordinator
- Responsible for JVS’s brand identity, including assets and content
- Provides writing and communications support to the agency with a particular focus on the development department and the annual Strictly Business fundraiser
- Manages the Marketing Coordinator to oversee the website, social media, and marketing campaigns for job search programs
- Builds and cultivates relationships for external marketing support, including partnering with vendors (web development, graphic design, and others) and volunteer marketing committee
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Drives to Outcomes: Creates and implements agency-wide systems to facilitate marketing management, data management, and continuous improvement; in a matrixed, fast-paced environment; natural attention to detail
- Practices Inclusion & Quality Customer Service: Driven by the JVS mission to transform lives, provides excellent customer service and relationship management; practical, calm approach to customer service in a diverse, multi-cultural environment
- Critical & Strategic Thinking: Uses a solutions-oriented approach to proactively solve problems; able to evaluate and analyze marketing strategies aligned with JVS’s mission;
- Collaborates and Cultivates partnerships: Strong sense of diplomacy and ability to represent JVS in a consistently positive professional manner; ability to lead and motivate non-marketing staff; able to forge partnerships externally to promote the agency’s mission
- Communicates Effectively: Broad skills as a marketing generalist; able to distill simple messages from complex subjects; excellent writing skills with the ability to self-edit; excellent oral and interpersonal communications skills; strong presentation skills
- Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Offers observations regarding how to nurture cultural sensitivity within the agency, and to represent the same outside the agency
- Commits to Professional Growth: Proactive learner with an ability to learn new technologies and platforms on an as-needed basis
- Navigates Change: Able to work effectively in ambiguous circumstances; effective management of shifting or conflicting priorities; adapts to changing processes or strategy shifts
- Broad digital marketing skills, including Google Analytics, Ads, SEO/SEM, social media, HTML
- Experience with video editing/storyboarding
- Experience with project management tools, such as Asana
- 3 years’ experience in marketing and communications, including management, analytical and brand management roles; experience supporting nonprofit fundraising and/or for-profit sales
- Demonstrated experience producing and managing creative and complex online and offline communications, including writing original publications
- Experience working with, briefing and managing marketing vendors, including designers, printers, web developers and photographers.
- Broad technical skills, such as CMS, including WordPress; MS Excel
- Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in Marketing, Communications or related field
- Experience managing marketing in a highly regulated industry where client privacy is a priority
- Leadership, supervisory management experience
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Marketing, Planning & Leadership
- Identify marketing priorities and develop strategic, proactive marketing initiatives. Produce yearly marketing calendar and communications plan to monitor and track annual marketing goals.
- Create and supervise budget for marketing publications and projects.
- Assure that the agency brand and logo are used consistently in agency materials. Work closely with executive team and managers to refine messaging platforms to target audiences.
- Project manage marketing initiatives from idea generation to full execution by scoping new projects and then working with key agency staff and outside vendors, including printers, mailing houses, graphic designers, photographers, video producers/crew and others, to ensure all marketing projects maintain a high level of quality, stay on schedule and remain within budget.
- Support the Marketing Committee of the JVS Board, including recruiting new members, coordinating meetings, providing direction, managing committee projects, and following through with recommendations.
- Review and edit donor communications, including appeals and JVS updates
- Serve as project manager for our major fundraiser (Strictly Business) marketing including the Save the Date card, invitation package, program materials, event ads, posters, and press kits. Maintain the Strictly Business website & online communications.
- Work with Event Consultant to manage some aspects of the Strictly Business video process from pre to post production, including: determining key messaging, assisting the event producer with the storyboard and directing edits to ensure the videos align with the brand and can be used outside of the event.
- Coordinate all photography for event collateral & the day of the event.
- Coordinate award winner speeches and assist in writing speeches for VIPs.
- Play an active role in the planning and implementation of the event with the Strictly Business team, filling in as needed.
- Develop and manage a variety of communications projects, including the annual report, direct mail pieces, and other communications collateral. Plan, write, edit and oversee the production of these projects. When needed, work with outside contractors on the completion of projects.
- Work with program managers & staff to identify client success stories and develop content for use in the annual report, social media, direct mail, and other JVS materials.
- Coordinate writing and tracking of all agency’s news releases and targeted pitches to reporters.
- Maintain the agency website on WordPress, coordinating improvements with external web developers, documenting internal processes and administrating users; monitor site with Google Analytics
- Educate and empower JVS staff to comply with the agency’s communications procedures through internal communications
WANT TO APPLY? Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please put Marketing Manager on the subject line. Principals Only no phone calls, please.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- This position will be working in a typical office setting, with no extremes in temperature or lighting
- Able to occasionally travel and present at offsite locations in the Bay Area
- Able to transport/carry presentation materials
- Applicants should be able to work with equipment typically found in an office and should be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without accommodation. Possible accommodations needed should be discussed prior to the onset of employment and/or the interview process.
Status and Position Information
Supervisor/Reports to: VP of Marketing and Development
Classifications: Full time
Date Written/Revised: 1/16/19
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to this job.
JVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. Culturally and racially diverse applicants encouraged to apply. Please let us know if you need accommodations or auxiliary aids for the interview process.