The Temporary Show Facilitator plays a key role in the the museum's temporary exhibition, The Art of Tinkering. This exhibition features artwork, exhibits, and facilitated Tinkering activities. Facilitators will lead Tinkering activities with youth and adult visitors in the Temporary Exhibition space. The exhibition runs from June 11, 2020 –Sept 7, 2020. This position will be required to attend weekend trainings in April and May. . The Temporary Show Facilitator reports to Field Trip and High School Explainer Leadership. This temporary position will end September 7, 2020.
- Provide facilitation of Tinkering activities to visitors in The Art of Tinkering temporary exhibition.
- Monitor visitor flow through exhibition and regulate crowds as needed.
- Answer questions from visitors about the exhibition.
- Conduct routine maintenance and assist in restocking tools and supplies for activities as needed.
- Identify and report problems and malfunctions throughout exhibition to Exhibit Maintenance.
- Understand daily operations and safety protocol of the museum.
- Support other Temporary Show Facilitators by filling in as needed and through good, regular communication.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with power tools. Willingness to learn how to use hand tools
- Ability and interest in learning about the exhibition
- Demonstrated interest in making or tinkering
- Experience interacting with the public in a professional capacity
- Experience teaching in a formal or informal setting
- Ability to interact with and manage large groups
- Self-pacing with the ability to work in a dynamic environment with moderate supervision
- Ability to remain calm in high-pressure situations and exercise good judgement (think on your feet)
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexible schedule; Must to available to work shifts that include weekends, evenings, and holidays
- Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Cantonese highly desirable
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to move from place to place; lift and carry up to 25 pounds short distances
Open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
This is an on-call, temporary (June 11, 2020 –Sept 7, 2020), position that does not include benefits. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium career page. Please, no phone calls in regards to this position.
The Exploratorium is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity, inclusion and respect. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.