Why Join JVS?
Do work that matters, supporting the mission of JVS (Jewish Vocational Service) which helps people find good, living wage jobs. Our mission is to transforms lives by helping people build skills and find work to achieve self-sufficiency.
Since 1973, JVS has helped more than 85,000 people in the Bay Area to build skills, find jobs and transform their lives.
JVS is seeking a part-time (15 hours per week), limited term (August - December 2021) IT Futures Instructor to provide IT Support technical expertise and support to clients engaged in Google’s IT Support Certificate training. Includes facilitating weekly review sessions of online learning to reinforce skill growth and learning, troubleshooting common problems, and providing individual office hours and coaching. This position will play a key role in the new IT Futures program designed to develop a quality entry level pathways to an IT career. The IT Futures Instructor will supplement the on-line, self-paced training (Google IT Support Certification by Cousera) by providing technical skill learning reinforcement, coaching and general support.
Duties and Responsibilities
Training and Instruction
- In collaboration with the JVS Program Coordinator, manage a supportive, purposeful, positive, and inclusive learning environment
- Use existing Coursera curricula to provide engaging and interactive learning environments
- Plan and prepare lessons based on curriculum and core learning objectives
- Help students resolve issues related to the online curriculum including access to applications, application configuration and troubleshooting, problems with mobile phones, and general inquiries
- Organize and manage groups and individual participants ensuring differentiation of learning needs, reflecting all abilities
- Assist coordinators with developing, administering, and recording participant progress via the Coursera learning management system
- Maintain a high level of customer service of all stakeholders including participants, employer partners, and JVS staff
* Position is temporarily remote with expectations to return to San Francisco based in-person work in 2021
- Strong training and delivery skills (in person or video conferencing) including the ability to actively engage participants using interactive learning techniques
- Excellent facilitation and classroom management skills
- Experienced leading in a Zoom learning environment
- Knowledge of hardware (personal computers and laptops), Windows 10 operating system, Microsoft Office applications, and Google Suite.
- Strong customer service and relationship management skills with clients, staff and employers
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural/generational environment with diverse staff and clientele
- Excellent interpersonal skills, resilience, patience, diplomacy, and tact
- Team player; customer service oriented with strong communication skills
- Good skills in spoken and written English
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Knowledge of adult learning practices
- Certified A+ IT Support technician or a related certification
- Experience teaching or training adult learners in multicultural contexts
- Strong knowledge of common operating systems specifically Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10, Mac and Chrome OS.
- Experience with resolving issues related to access to applications, application configuration and troubleshooting, and general inquiries
- Experience supporting mobile devices (Android/iOS/)
- Basic network troubleshooting
- Demonstrated experience in educational and/or workplace settings focused on developing basic skills, professional skills, and/or professional development
- Experience in working in cross-functional teams with strong training outcomes
- 1-2 years' experience in a Helpdesk/Support role providing: support in response to staff requests via Service Desk system; installing and configuring hardware and software; deploying updates for end-user devices; managing user accounts; monitoring Windows network; installing and configuring hardware and software, etc.
- Familiar with job search and workforce training
- Experience in teaching or facilitating in any of the following areas: Job Search Strategies; Career Development; Customer Service; Workplace Communication, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving; Diversity and/or Culturally Competent Communication; Leadership Development; or in a related area
Click HERE to apply for the IT Futures Instructor role
What We Offer
- $45 per hour
- Temporary remote work
- Equitable pay
JVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. We welcome diverse applicants. Please let us know if you need accommodations or auxiliary aids for the interview process.
JVS values intersectional racial equity and strives to center people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ+ people. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other communities that experience marginalization.