Who We Are
Founded in 1973, Jewish Vocational Service (JVS) is the Bay Area’s leading job training agency with a mission to transform lives by helping people build in-demand skills and find work. We work closely with Bay Area employers to develop programs that teach skills that our clients need and employers demand. Our locally and nationally recognized programs connect job seekers to training opportunities in healthcare, financial services, administration, and technology, with more to come. We are a nonprofit, non-sectarian organization serving clients from all walks of life and at a variety of experience levels. JVS is committed to treating clients with dignity and fairness and appreciates the diversity and uniqueness of each employee, client, volunteer, and community partner.
About the Role:
We are seeking a part-time, online instructor for the 9 week Medical Administrative Assistant (MAA) program. The instructor provides virtual (online) instruction in subjects such as basic office administration skills, workplace professionalism, cultural competency, and customer service contextualized to the healthcare setting. Participants in this program primarily come from low-income communities of color, and the instructor will be expected to teach emotional resiliency, self-efficacy, and culturally relevant, strengths-based methods for navigating a professional workplace. Candidates will be expected to deliver a live virtual teaching demonstration during the application process.
· Use a combination of methodologies to teach occupational skills such as communication, customer service, leadership, and basic business writing to a diverse student body, preparing them for roles in a healthcare setting.
· Occasional assistance with developing supporting materials (e.g. electronic handouts, syllabus, reference guides) for learner use.
· Full ownership for preparing classroom materials in advance of online workshops
· Assist with developing, administering, correcting, evaluating and recording students’ progress
· Work successfully with Healthcare Program Coordinator to coordinate instructional delivery and assess student needs.
· Manage and facilitate a supportive, purposeful, stimulating, disciplined, positive, and inclusive learning environment
· Use new and existing curricula, applicable to different learning styles and abilities, to provide instruction based on core learning objectives
· Maintain a high level of customer service at all times and for all stakeholders including participants, employer partners, and JVS staff
· Assess student skills, record student performance, and write a mid-term evaluation for each individual
· Track and report student enrollment, attendance, and completion; participate in the collection of pre- and post-test data; maintain accurate records according to JVS and funding source requirements
· Communicate with EXCEL Program Coordinator and other appropriate staff and partners regarding student attendance, progress, and transitions to internship and career advancement (when applicable)
· Participate in program evaluation and staff team meetings as needed; provide written recommendations for course enhancements and developments
- Experience teaching basic skills to adult learners in classroom settings
- 1+ years of online instruction to adult learners
- Demonstrated ability to create and deliver lessons contextualized for workforce training in Healthcare
San Francisco Bay Area resident is a ++
Experience teaching/training and/or curriculum development in any of the following areas: Job Search Strategies, Customer Service, Workplace Communication, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving, Diversity and/or Culturally Competent Communication, Supervision and/or Leadership Development, Career Development, Change Management, Trauma-Informed Pedagogy, Universal Design for Learning, and Humanizing Online Classes
- $45-$55/hour for instruction/curriculum development
- $25/hour for administrative time (preparing and grading)
Want to make a difference in your local community? To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org; using Excel Program Online Teaching Assistant in the subject line. Principals only, no phone calls, please.
JVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. Culturally and racially diverse applicants encouraged to apply. Please let us know if you need accommodations or auxiliary aids for the interview process.