Contract position, approximately 20 hours a month at $20 an hour.
At Congregation Emanu-El, we believe that Judaism guides us on our journey to be better people, create stronger community, and repair the world.
Congregation Emanu-El’s Pastoral Care Provider (PCP) provides a listening ear and caring heart to congregants who are homebound, diagnosed with cancer or other terminal disease, living with chronic illness, experiencing loss or any of the numerous heartaches that cause congregants to turn to their temple. The position is designed to give congregants the opportunity to see a trained professional more often than a rabbi’s schedule allows.
This is a collaborative, relationship-oriented role. The PCP will work with Clergy and the Director of Member Experience to manage congregant care, which would include regular phone calls and in-person visits as needed or requested, and documenting visits and conversations. The hours will be set according to the PCP’s personal schedule but should not exceed 20 hours a month.
What You’ll Do (Essential Functions):
- Act as an extension of the clergy/staff for pastoral needs of our community, offering comfort and support as needed.
- Provide inter-personal support to congregants in need - those suffering from chronic illness, loneliness, recent diagnosis, or other issues that may require consistent and long-term follow-up.
- Document visits, conversations, and general information about the congregants visited.
- Participate in monthly meetings with the Director of Member Experience and quarterly meetings with the Senior Rabbi(s) to update them on congregant care and needs and determine if additional congregants can be visited.
What You’ll Bring to the Job (Core Competencies):
- This role is best filled by someone who loves engaging with a wide range of people and building relationships.
- Professionalism is essential, keeping a balance between care and confidentiality.
- Someone who understands that healing is spiritual, emotional, and social as well as physical.
- Minimum of graduate degree or pursuing a graduate degree.
- Minimum of three years in the field of pastoral care or health care services.
- At least 2 units completed in a Clinical Pastoral Education Certificate (CPE).
- Physical ability to travel around San Francisco independently, either via car or public transportation, and visit congregants in their home environment.
- All vaccinations up to date, including COVID.
- Self-motivation, self-direction and accountability.
- Detail oriented; great with record keeping and tracking.
- Familiarity with Jewish life, practice, ritual, knowledge.
This is not a social work or home health care position. For reasons of scope and insurance you will not:
- Provide rides to medical care or anyplace else
- Provide tech support
- Do grocery shopping
- Pay bills
- Make personal arrangements
- Work with congregants’ lawyer or medical team
Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Congregation Emanu-El is the fifth largest Jewish Reform congregation in the United States, with approximately 1800 member households, and is the oldest Jewish congregation west of the Mississippi. Officially established in 1850, and located in a landmark temple in San Francisco, Emanu-El serves as a foundation of community life for Jews and non-Jews, for members and non-members, with innovative programs in worship, community and education that span the cycles and events of life.