Utilities Training Program Coordinator (part-time, temporary)
Summary of Position
Program: Utilities Training Program
Mission: To partner with regional workforce development organizations, Bay Area educational institutions, unions and training organizations to provide utilities industry-aligned, work-based learning activities that support job seekers’ current and future employment success in the utilities field.
- Reports to: Director of Utilities Training Program
- Collaborates with: JVS School Partner Programs and Adult Programs staff, high school staff, regional workforce development organizations, unions, apprenticeship programs, Bay Area educational and employer partners, and JVS Jobs Skills Instructor.
- Supervises: N/A
Our Utilities training programs typically include a contextualized classroom training that consists of a combination of technical and soft skills followed by an internship or work-based learning experience, including apprenticeships. In close collaboration with other team members and employer partners, the Coordinator will:
- Implement and oversee the utilities training program from start to finish, including outreach and enrollment, classroom skills training, support during work-based learning, referral to apprenticeships and job placement
- Support youth and adult job seekers transition to education and employment in skilled trades career pathways
Qualifications and competencies
- Communicates Effectively: Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Provides Quality Customer Service: Works with clients and programs partners using active listening, patience, diplomacy, tact; responds in a timely manner to inquiries, requests
- Cultivates relationships: Able to manage, maintain existing professional relationships and perform outreach to establish new relationships.
- Thinks Critically: Strong decision making and problem-solving skills
- Practices Inclusion: Able to work in a multi-cultural environment with diverse staff, partners and clientele:
- Drives to Outcomes: Strong organizational skills, able to manage priorities, meet deliverables and deadlines
- Demonstrates Flexibility: Able to work independently and as part of a team; able to adapt to change in a fast paced work environment
- Strong computer proficiency in MS Office Suite, relational databases, internet research
- Commits to Professional Growth: Adaptable to new technology, willing to expand knowledge around employment trends in the Utilities Sector
- Familiarity with Water/Wastewater, Energy, Transportation industries, and Building and Construction Trades
- Familiar with the role of labor in the utilities and building trades industries, including knowledge of Bay Area labor organizations, apprenticeship programs, and the collective bargaining process
- Familiar with Google Drive, Dropbox and Salesforce
- Familiar with high school and community college-based career & technical education programs and work-based learning
- Language and cultural proficiency in Spanish
- Able to lead small group workshops addressing job readiness and employer hiring process
- Experience providing vocational or employment services including skills assessment, employment coaching, job development, recruitment, placement, and retention
- Experience successfully developing career pathways for youth and adults
- Experience working in the trades
- A union member, currently or in a previous role
- Experience with program coordination
- Experience working in collaboration with employers, unions, apprenticeship training programs, educational institutions and other community partners
- Understanding of the current needs and recruiting trends in the Utilities industry
- BA/BS in relevant field
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Career Pathways Coordination
- Lead the planning and coordination of career pathways work leading to jobs in the Bay Area utilities industry
- Collaborates with program instructor(s) to plan all aspects of in-class training
- Manage existing, and cultivate new industry, union, employment and educational partner relationships
- Ensure program documentation complies with agency and funder reporting requirements
- Support development of collaborative vision while maintaining alignment to agency, department and program goals
- Through one-on-one and group coaching, support career pathway participants in:
- Identification of career pathway and goals
- Progress within career pathway toward goals
- Problem solving and logistical support
- Networking to connect with mentors, unions and industry support
- Connect to union/apprenticeship testing information and other supports
- Securing competitive employment and/or gaining anchorage within apprenticeships or other postsecondary education/training
- Referrals to support services, as needed
- Works with participants and employer partner(s) to facilitate hiring into roles
- Provides feedback and support to program participants
Want to Apply? Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com; please use Utilities Coordinator in the subject line. Principals only, no phone calls, please.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- This position will be working in a typical office and/or school setting, with no extremes in temperature or lighting
- Able to travel and present at offsite locations in the Bay Area
- Able to transport/carry program materials to school and work sites
- Applicants should be able to work with equipment typically found in an office and should be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without accommodation. Possible accommodations needed should be discussed prior to the onset of employment and/or the interview process.
STATUS AND POSITION INFORMATION
Department/program: Utilities Training Program
Classification: Part-time, limited term, non-exempt
Benefits: Only eligible for benefits available to contingent staff as required by law, including sick leave, commuter plan, workers’ comp and employer sponsored medical flex account.
Date written/revised: 3/26/19
This position is contingent on funding and will be evaluated annually.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to this job.
JVS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disabilities. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities; please let us know if you need accommodations for the interview process.