Workers’ Compensation Manager and Risk Specialist (Temporary)
Salary Info: $9,032 - $13,044 Monthly
Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, February 10
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, February 21, 2020
Internal Reference # 20-020T
East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) invites qualified persons to apply for an immediate temporary (up to 6 months) Workers’ Compensation Manager and Risk Specialist position. Working under general direction, the Workers’ Compensation Manager and Risk Specialist directs, coordinates and supervises the implementation and maintenance of the District’s self-insured workers’ compensation and disability claims program, which includes supervising the investigation and settlement of EBMUD’s claims by the third-party administrator and administering temporary and/or permanent disability programs consistent with CA state and federal laws. This individual will also perform related work as needed and assist the Risk Manager as assigned.
Successful performance requires considerable initiative, a high level of tact, judgment and independence, and close coordination with EBMUD managers and supervisors to ensure continuous and effective case management. The incumbent must be fully knowledgeable of the CA Labor Code, CA state and federal disability laws, as applicable.
Typical responsibilities may include:
- Administering EBMUD’s Workers’ Compensation Program;
- Evaluating medical information and assessing an employee’s ability to perform work based on temporary and/or permanent disabilities consistent with CA state and federal laws;
- Coordinating with management, disabled employees, HR, and WHS to evaluate options to enable an employee to return to temporary and/or permanent work consistent with CA state and federal laws;
- Arranging for the use of consultants and other resources in meeting with the requirements of workers’ compensation laws;
- Serving as the liaison between EBMUD, employees, third-party claims administrator, HR staff, union representatives, medical professionals and others in workers’ compensation and disability matters;
- Recommending settlements of claims by compromise and release or stipulation with award;
- Establishing and overseeing procedures for claims administration, investigations, audits of third party administrators, and managing legal defense of litigated claims;
- Surveying EBMUD facilities and work sites where employee injuries and accidents have occurred;
- Serving as acting Manager of Risk Management in absence of the manager;
- Making recommendations for loss control and cost containment measures and mitigation of public liability as appropriate;
- Supervising and providing for the training and development of assigned staff;
- Reviewing proposed contracts to determine degree of insurance protection or indemnification required and reviewing insurance certificates and policies;
- Administering the Self-Insured Property Loss program, to include tracking claims, analyzing and reporting loss data to management; and
- Assisting in preparation of the unit’s budget.
- Completion of four years of college resulting in graduation or its equivalent; and
- Four years of increasingly responsible experience in workers’ compensation administration, CA state and federal disability laws, workers’ compensation claims supervision, or risk management.
Certification by the state as having passed the CA Insurance Administrator’s Exam is highly desirable.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, February 21, 2020. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability
Job Hotline: (510) 287-0742