Civil Service/Trades Pre-Apprenticeship
Are you interested in hands-on work? Union apprenticeships and careers at public agencies offer great benefits and opportunities for advancement. Learn about these career opportunities as a Machinist or Maintenance Mechanic in our 17.5-weeks program at Laney College. Women, BIPOC, Justice impacted and veterans are highly encouraged to apply.
- MACHINE 210 or WELDING 205 (in-person class at Laney College)
- OSHA 10 Safety Certification
- Job search skills, cover letter and resume assistance
- Math for trades, test-taking strategies, spatial and mechanical reasoning
- Site tours of potential employment sites at water and wastewater agencies
- Mentorship, career informational sessions and networking opportunities
- Job placement services and referrals to job openings with Bay Area agencies
- Assistance with transportation and safety equipment costs
- Fill out the online application
- Eligible applicants with complete applications will be invited for phone interview and virtual panel interview
- Selected candidates will be invited to attend a mandatory orientation/welcome session
Applications are now open.
Who is Hiring Our Graduates?
City of Redwood, City and County of San Francisco, Oro Loma Sanitary District, SamTrans, FedEx
Our Utilities Team
Director of Utilities Programs
Elizabeth Toups has over 25 years of experience leading workforce education and training strategies, with particular expertise in the utilities and healthcare industries. In her role as Director of Utilities Training Programs, Elizabeth leads JVS’s efforts to build a more effective workforce pipeline leading to mission critical jobs in the public water/wastewater and transit sectors. Elizabeth is a graduate of the University of Kentucky and holds a master’s degree in public administration from Golden Gate University.
Senior Coordinator, Utilities Programs
Mario has over 13 years of experience supporting students from underserved communities and helping them to enter their career pathways. He has extensive experience working with immigrants, economically disadvantaged and diverse populations. In his previous role, Mario helped develop a program connecting first-generation students with resources and supportive networks to help them achieve their academic goals. Now at JVS, he supports job seekers who are pursuing careers in the skilled trades.
Michael brings to JVS 16 years of experience in workforce development. In addition to serving as a manager on our Utilities team, Michael also serves as the manager of BAYWORK, a workforce consortium of over 35 water and wastewater utilities in the Greater Bay Area. Michael’s dual responsibilities are a reflection of the close cooperation between JVS and the utilities that make up BAYWORK. This collaboration gives the JVS Utilities team a high-level of access to leaders in the water sector, enhancing our ability to prepare clients for these well-paid and stable careers.
August 22 – December 16, 2022
Online & In-person Classes:
In-person Classes: M/T/W/Th 6pm-9pm
- Age 18 or older by August 22, 2022
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Valid driver’s license
- Access to a vehicle & willing to commute
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Interest in water sector/public agency jobs
- High school diploma or GED required
- Must enroll at Laney College