Civil Service/Trades Pre-Apprenticeship
Do you enjoy working with your hands? Are you interested in preparing for a career in the trades, such as Electronic Instrument Tech, and Electrician? Union apprenticeships and careers at public agencies offer great benefits and opportunities for advancement. Get prepared to perform well on apprenticeship and civil service exams with this free 16-week program. Women and job seekers with previous conviction histories are encouraged to apply.
This program provides:
- Preparation for BAYWORK Instrumentation apprenticeship application and referrals to local apprenticeships as well as entry level job opportunities in the water sector
- Instruction in math, test-taking strategies, and spatial & mechanical reasoning
- Job search skills, cover letter and resume assistance
- Site tours of potential employment sites at water and wastewater agencies
- Talks by water sector professionals
- Post-internship job placement services & referrals to job openings with Bay Area agencies
- Fill out the online application
- Eligible applicants with complete applications will be invited for phone interview and if eligible will move to a panel interview by zoom
- Selected candidates will be invited to attend a mandatory orientation/welcome session
Applications for the Skilled Trades Pre-Apprenticeship are now open.
Who is Hiring Our Graduates?
City of Redwood, City and County of San Francisco, Oro Loma Sanitary District, SamTrans, FedEx
Our Utilities Team
Director of Utilities Programs
Elizabeth Toups has over 25 years of experience leading workforce education and training strategies, with particular expertise in the utilities and healthcare industries. In her role as Director of Utilities Training Programs, Elizabeth leads JVS’s efforts to build a more effective workforce pipeline leading to mission critical jobs in the public water/wastewater and transit sectors. Elizabeth is a graduate of the University of Kentucky and holds a master’s degree in public administration from Golden Gate University.
Senior Coordinator, Utilities Programs
Mario has over 13 years of experience supporting students from underserved communities and helping them to enter their career pathways. He has extensive experience working with immigrants, economically disadvantaged and diverse populations. In his previous role, Mario helped develop a program connecting first-generation students with resources and supportive networks to help them achieve their academic goals. Now at JVS, he supports job seekers who are pursuing careers in the skilled trades.
Coordinator, Utilities Programs
Mark prepared for the union and civil service exams by participating in the Laney College/JVS pilot math program, and he now mentors students who are pursuing careers in the skilled trades. “I get great satisfaction in my work here at JVS, and I enjoy seeing my students grow, achieve new levels of confidence, and become sought-after job seekers.”
Michael brings to JVS 16 years of experience in workforce development. In addition to serving as a manager on our Utilities team, Michael also serves as the manager of BAYWORK, a workforce consortium of over 35 water and wastewater utilities in the Greater Bay Area. Michael’s dual responsibilities are a reflection of the close cooperation between JVS and the utilities that make up BAYWORK. This collaboration gives the JVS Utilities team a high-level of access to leaders in the water sector, enhancing our ability to prepare clients for these well-paid and stable careers.
August 23rd – December 17th, 2021
Online & In-person Classes:
Monday – Thursday: Late afternoon classes
Saturday: 8am – 2pm (September & October)
Los Medanos College
2700 E Leland Rd, Pittsburg
- Age 18 or older by August 23, 2021
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Interest in the skilled trades: Electronic Instrument Technician / Electrician (preferred)
- Open to explore the ETEC program at LMC
- Low-income and disadvantaged communities or dislocated workers (preferred)